9.21.2009

Musical Revelations

Srsly people, I am starting to become musically depressed. Guys I like, such as Jim Morrison and Eric Clapton, half their stuff's not even original! I mean, I knew rock and roll in the sixties evolved out of the bluesy stuff, but there's a fuck of a difference between evolving and jacking. I would imagine that, back in the day, most of these white, disenfranchised middle class hippie kids didn't think much about crediting the original musician when they stole his songs. Elvis too, you Presley cocksuckers. When I hear the original versions of songs like "Back Door Man" and "Spoonful," I can see what people mean when they say that later bands just took the songs and distorted them and made them all sloppy and messy. Kinda like Led Zeppelin. I mean, especially like. When I realize the resemblances between supposedly classic rock bands and the older bluesy guys, it's easy to see how the older music, the rhythm and blues, was basic and skeletal, with reverent guitar solos that never detracted from the singer's words, but only added to them. Guys like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page practically jizzed their pants every time they got to perform a guitar solo, and consequently went all over the scale like the hobbits in Mordor, nevermind what that one guy was trying to sing. It's hard to sing when you're out of control and jizzing in your pants.

These things I'm saying aren't particularly well-informed, and it's not like I've listened to the real rhythm and blues for hours and hours. Really, this is my first impression of guys like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. Oh my good damn god are they awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, like Ozzy Osbourne said, "All musicians are thieves." lol. Well, that's not an exact quote, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Bop it