8.26.2009

Departed Dreams

Finally watched The Departed last night. It's been on the movie list in the back of my mind for a bit of a while now, especially since my brother showed me the original Chinese version, Internal Affairs. The latter is actually a trilogy, the first movie of which The Departed is based on, plot point for plot point. TD is a little more fleshed out, since I guess the makers of it didn't want to leave it open for sequels, but key events are almost exactly the same. Internal Affairs is in some ways a little more subtle, as in that scene of immense tension when both "moles" are unknowingly fighting each other undercover, the police agent working with the criminals employs Morse code to communicate with the other cops. In TD, however, it's all about texting, texting, as if phone lines couldn't possibly be traced.

To be sure, I found TD to be a lot more engaging, though fans of IA find it weaker. Maybe it was just all the accents flying around that piqued me, as well as the racist historical undertones. Those Irish men were awesome, even though they were violent gangsters. I wasn't convinced by Jack Nicholson's occasional Boston accent, even though he tried hard to make it seem as though his character slipped into it when angry or trying to be intimidating. I loved Damon, though, and his total racist dipshit attitude coupled with that laughably respectable voice.

Dang yo, I was looking up stuff about CCA again, and this time I actually read up more thoroughly on their transfer requirements. They're much more extensive than CCA would have you believe at first glance, especially with their crap about "oh, we don't require you to take a certain number of units to transfer, just maybe take some English, some art, you know." I mean, I'm still going to go for it, fuck yeah, sounds much better than the money-whoring Academy of Art (sorry, AoA friends), but I've just realized it's actually going to be kind've difficult. I guess what will happen is I won't have done most of the transferable classes they recommend, but I might still get in and just take said classes there to complete my degree. Or something. I'll figure it out.

I dreamed last night of delivering a package, and the street I walked down was the street on which my half-sister lived. I happened to glance at her house as I went by, and saw her and her mother and someone else sitting on a blanket in the front yard. I looked away before they saw me and hurried past. There was so much more in my dreams last night, but most of it escapes me now. I remember the light was almost blue-tinted, though still bright, like on a cold morning.

At another point, I was in a vast auditorium, standing with hundreds of other students in our gowns and caps, waiting to take our diplomas. We were graduating high school at last, and, thinking it would be a quick thing, I hadn't told my mom about it. I got my diploma almost right away, crumpled it slightly, and felt an awful sadness that no one was there with me to celebrate.

1 comment:

Bop it